Thursday, March 5, 2009

Wilkommen zu Koeln

Despite my recent little trip to Paris, I am unsure how I feel about SL places modelled on RL. I mean, isn't SL about creating from your imagination rather than recreating reality? I think it is for me.


Despite this, when I saw that Sai had been to visit Cologne Cathedral I couldn't resist following in her footsteps. Y'see I love Cologne Cathedral. In RL, I mean. It is such an amazing building, so much detail, the identifying twin spires, the sheer scale.

And the SL version does it justice. It really does. Whatever you feel about recreating SL locations, you have to admire the sheer artistry that's gone into this recreation. It is breath-taking.

2 comments:

  1. SL shouldn't exclusively be about recreating places from RL, but OTOH... I will probably never get to see the Eiffel Tower, but I can visit the SL versions and get at least a little taste of what it is like.

    (OK, now I'm thinking filk. "Well I've never been to Spain/but I've seen the SL version...")

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, but if it's the Eiffel Tower but stuck in the model of an imagined town centre does it really work?
    I don't know.
    I admire the artistry, as I mentioned before. I have major respect for anyone who puts that much effort into creating beauty. I guess I just admire imagination to the same degree.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails