Sunday, April 26, 2009

Omega Point

It's described as a Dark Fantasy Cyber Planet, and I'm not quite sure what that means. One thing I am sure of though is that Omega Point (sorry, no slurl, but you can search it, right?) is immense.

Immense in terms of scale. Immense in terms of depth. And immense in terms of imagination.

I don't know quite where to begin.


Well, firstly I guess, I was put on to this place by my friend Lysi. She had run across it somehow and recommended the place to me. Despite our RL time difference (17 or 19 hours or something, I think) we'd arranged to meet there and explore together a little. I wasn't sure what to expect. Which was good because what I found would has surpassed all expectations.

The first thing that struck me was the design, so detailed, so intricate, so immense. Everywhere you look the detail is fantastic. The place where we started off was at the bottom, literally. The sim towered above us. I cammed around a bit to try and get a good idea of my surroundings but it was just so hard to take it all in. And even when you get to a point that you can see it all, you pull back a bit more and suddenly there's another bit in front of you. Or above you.

I guess the way to describe where we started off was some sort of sci-fi space ship or city sort of a place. But with a gothic vibe. No, I'm not sure how that works either. Think Aliens meets Dracula.


Everywhere you look there are pipes and cables and new levels and glowy bits and staircases. You cam around and spot something that looks interesting. The fun bit then is plotting your path. Sure, you can fly I guess, but that would kind of detract from the place. The designer has gone to a lot of trouble to put all this in place and interconnect it all. Why cheat their artistry?


I found it hard to filter through my photos to work out which ones to show you here. There was just so much to see. And so much to do. You find interactive stuff in the least expected places.


It's worth seeking out the dancefloor too. There are usual dance poseballs you'd expect but also some other fun stuff. I don't want to say too much, as half the fun is finding it for yourself. Let me just say click on everything. And then, when you're tired, you can even take a seat and watch the world go by.


I think maybe the biggest surprise for me at Omega Point was that just when you begun to think you had a handle on the place you found somewhere new, and different.

Like the red room, the very red room. With a couch with relaxation poses and reading-a-book poses at one end, and some elaborate sacrificial and magical octagram at the other.


And then you head upstairs from there and find something a whole lot more gothic and less sci-fi, complete with Snow White glass coffin.


It is said that there is only a fine line between madness and genius. Omega Point bestraddles that line with a foot firmly in both camps.

Oh, and if don't believe me, find the shop. I reckon everyone needs to check out some 'window hair'.

Either that or 'big bang hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails